Saturday, September 30, 2006

After the revolution


One thing about teaching – you never know what to expect next.

For example, during a lesson I happened to ask the class that if they could wish for absolutely anything what would they want. I got the usual answers: winning the lottery, a big house, a horse, playing for Man Utd and even world peace (watch Miss Congeniality!). Harry’s answer surprised me. He wanted to rule the world!

Harry was a quiet lad who had never previously shown signs of megalomania. He had opened the garden gate and I had to go up the path. I asked him what he would do with me if he ruled the world and he replied, “Sir, I would put you in charge of the bins.”

Relieved that he wasn’t going to put me up against the wall in front of a firing squad, I asked him why he would give me that job. “My uncle is a bin man, sir, and it’s a great job.”

Mmm … time for a career change?

1 comment:

Ali said...

In response to a comment you left (anonymously!) on my blog under the 'Disney School of Science' post.

When you have the tippex out to remove Pluto from the science textbooks, you should take time to ammend the speech made by Neil Armstrong when he landed (allegedly) on the moon.

In todays Daily Mail it is reported that an Australian computer expert has finally, after 37 years, proved that Armstrong did actually say:

'That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.'

I ask myself, who gives a fiddlers??

Don't worry, I will ensure your class are taught the correct version when I return to work on Thursday. Really, this space thing is all proving a bit of a farce!