Sunday, January 21, 2007

X marks the spot



I’ve been quite busy since I last blogged. I have been nursing my bank balance back to health after the Christmas consumer fest, I’ve been trying to lose the extra pounds put on through overeating and I’ve been indulging in my passion for geocaching. When I mention to friends what my hobby is they smile, say “Mmm,” and look at me as if I had just told them that I wear women’s clothes at the weekend – which I don’t!

Geocaching is a form of high-tech treasure hunting using a set of co-ordinates and a GPS receiver. (If you want to know more check out www.geocaching.com) Basically, someone hides a box, or cache, logs the co-ordinates on the Geocaching site and then people try to find it using a GPS. My daughter thinks I’m an anorak but with over 32000 of us in the world that’s some clothing industry!
Geocaching is a good excuse for a walk and I have seen some parts of the country that I would never have otherwise visited. Also it’s an excuse for adults to go looking for hidden treasure. Dressing up like Jack Sparrow (sorry, Captain Jack Sparrow) is optional but it tends to draw attention. Savvy?

My colleague, Chemical (click on her blog at the side), got me started on geocaching as well as blogging. She does other girlie things like make cards and bake cakes, but I definitely wont be taking those up as hobbies!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not take up those 'girlie' interests, there's nothing like broadening the mind - why not try the cardmaking for starters?

Ali said...

I would like to know if the GPS in the picture is the model you got for Christmas, along with the new anorak and baking bowl set :-p

superstar said...

life just good

Ali said...

found our second 'first to find' today, on our new GPS :-)

just thought the blogginf public had the right to know

"THE" Rob Cerio said...

I've been geocaching with friends for a few years now... and I find a nice, subtle eye patch is just as effective as dressing up as Jack Sparrow with creating far less of a scene :)

Pluto said...

Mmm, now there's a thought.