Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Half Term Holiday

I was on half term last week. My wife also had half term but when we looked at our holiday list a few weeks ago we realised that we only had one day off school at the same time. I tried hard to look suitably disappointed and I think I got away with it! I told her that I would take her to England for a nice, romantic Valentine's weekend but she saw through that immediately because we were going to see our granddaughter, Sophia. Ah well, you can't win them all.

We went down to breakfast where we were staying on the first morning and we were surprised to find that we were the only people in the restaurant, which turned out to be just as well. I went to the buffet table and lifted a glass for some orange juice but two had stuck together. As I tried to separate them one shattered. I don't mean cracked, but actually shattered. I suspect that one was put on top of the other to dry and they became well and truly stuck. I accept no responsibility for that! The waiter was OK about it.

Then there was the incident with the toaster. It was one of those conveyor belt things where the bread travels between two heating elements and falls out onto a tray at the bottom at which point everyone standing around waiting tries to work out whose toast it is. I put my bread in and after a few moments I had to call the waiter again. "Er, excuse me but my toast has just caught fire!" (Deja vu?) The waiter fiddled with a few knobs and the next piece of toast was fine. The toaster was on the wrong settings so I accept no responsibility for that either!

The rest of the weekend was fine and we had a great time with Sophia.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Just as a matter of interest, how much is it for a weekend in Fawlty Towers these days?

Sophie's lovely. She looks nothing like you.

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with Ali, (whats new about that), I think she looks very like you.

Pluto said...

Ali, it's SophiA. Get your varifocals changed!

Ali said...

Nope anon, you're quite wrong. SophiA is a gorgeous baby